Concerts at St Andrews
English Song Recital
Sunday 28 September
|Anna Huntley - Mezzo Soprano||Joseph Middleton - Piano|
Concert at 2.00pm (£5)
Music for a While
Sweeter than Roses
Orpheus with his lute
The Water Mill
|Cloths of Heaven||Thomas Dunhill|
|Five Eyes John||Cecil Armstrong-Gibbs|
|Earth’s Call, ‘A Sylvian Rhapsody’||Ireland|
|Now sleeps the crimson petal||Roger Quilter|
|La Belle Dame Sans Merci||Charles Villiers Stanford|
|A Bar on the Piccolo Marina||Noel Coward|
Song of the Nightclub Proprietress
Tell me the Truth About Love
|Mermaid||Arr. Roger Vignoles|
Workshop follows (£3)
Do you love the English language, the marriage of words and music and do you love singing and/or playing the piano? Then this workshop could be for you!
The workshop will allow you to:
- discuss methods that explore the art of communication through music
- talk about the poetry and why the composer chose to set it
- use your voice most naturally and effectively
- learn some aspects of performance technique
All standards and ages are invited to attend.
We ask that you:
- present a song in English, preferably by a classical composer (although we’d be happy to hear some show tunes too!)
- bring a spare copy of the music
- come as a singer-pianist duo if possible so that we can work with both of you and discuss aspects of building a chamber music partnership
- if you are a singer and can’t find an accompanist, then Joseph will be on hand to play for you - bring an extra copy of the music for him
Before the workshop, Anna and Joseph will give a short recital charting the history of English song from Purcell to the present day.
Anna and Joseph met when they were both studying at London’s Royal Academy of Music. They are committed to teaching and have both worked for Live Music Now, set up by the late Yehudi Menuhin.
Patronal Festival Concert
Saturday 22 November at 7.30pm
|Roderick Williams - Baritone||
Joseph Middleton - Piano
Bring and Sing
Saturday 27 September at 7.30pm
Schubert - Mass in G and The Lord is My Shepherd
Mozart - Missa Brevis K220 and Ave Verum
Conductor - Ian Smith
|Alison Rose||Anna Huntley||Joel Williams||Tristan Hambleton|
1.45pm - Registration 2.30pm - Rehearsal
Scores are available in advance from the Church Office and on the day.
Bring a packed tea to have in the Main Hall.
Tickets: Audience£8.00/£7.00 concessions, Singers £7.00
Students 16-21 £3.00, Children free with an adult.
Tickets for all concerts - £8/£7 concessions, £4 Students 16-21 (unless otherwise stated)
Tickets at the door are £9.00/£8.00 concessions
Two students, under the age of 16, in full-time education are admitted free to a concert when accompanied by a paying adult
Tickets for all concerts are available from:
The Parish Church of St Andrew
Kimbolton Road, Bedford, MK40 2PF
tel: 01234 216881
fax: 01234 354378
and the Central Box Office - tel 01234 718112
Please see the 2014 brochure for details of payment by cheque or BACS